10 Facts About Prince Philip
Prince Philip: 10 Facts About Longest-serving British Consort
Buckingham Palace on Friday announced the demise of Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh at the age of 99.
Before his death, the Duke had spent weeks in the hospital to receive treatment for an infection and later a heart surgery
Below are what you should know about Prince Philip:
1. Philip spent 65 years supporting the queen. He retired from his public role in 2017.
2. He was the first member of the royal family to do a televised interview.
3. He was born on June 10, 1921.
4. Prince Philip was originally a Greek prince as he was the only son of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark, and Princess Alice of Battenberg. His uncle, who was the king abdicated and the family fled to Paris when the Duke was still very young.
5. At 18, Philip joined the Royal Navy and graduated from the Britannia Royal Naval College as a top cadet.
6. Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth are cousins, as they are both great-great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria.
7. The pair meet in 1935 and got married in Westminster Abbey on November 20, 1947.
8. Ahead of his marriage to Queen Elizabeth, Philip renounced his Greek royal title and became a British citizen.
9. Queen Elizabeth’s father, King George VI gave him the title: Duke of Edinburgh.
10. One of Prince Philip’s hobbies was painting.